Adding features from 1.4.1 into 1.3.14

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

spottedhaggis

Adding features from 1.4.1 into 1.3.14

Post by spottedhaggis »

LO all again.

Here is my situation:

Using 1.3.14 at moment, as it is simple to customise the templates for my site look, feel, size etc.

Like, very much the new 1.4.1 version especially the option of changing languages.

Can I add the take the change language feature and place it into the older 1.3.14 version of the software and have it work?
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

with some work, yes. Please wait for the answer of the author of the template.

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
spottedhaggis

Thanks - Further information!!!

Post by spottedhaggis »

I will, sorry if I am being a little impatient, I have to have the entire webiste up and running before the end of this month.

I have to say, this is the best kb i have ever come accross, and I commend all those that have played a part in its development, only wish I had the skills to do something on this scale myself.

Well done to all of you.

Suggestions/requests:

Upgrade - It would be nice to have an update script that can update the required files on the fly.

Templates - Something that will allow a user to edit the scripts in a simple format, maybe a front end editor that comes with it.

Feature requestIs it possible to have say the top 5 questions asked, somehow incorporated into the main hme page of the website, so withut actually logging onto the kb a user can see on the home page the top 5 requests, questions etc. Just an idea I seen this in message board forums and it would be a nice addition to the system
HELP in other areas:

I notice the new version has a number of JS files in the Admin/Editor section.

Can anyone tell me how these work, what their function is and if I would find them of any use.
Thorsten

Re: Thanks - Further information!!!

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

thank your!
Upgrade - It would be nice to have an update script that can update the required files on the fly.
It is planned for one of the future versions: an update over the internet.
Templates - Something that will allow a user to edit the scripts in a simple format, maybe a front end editor that comes with it.
This isn't planned. You can use an editor like vi(m), Emacs or KEdit on Linux or Edit or Homesite on Windows.
Feature requestIs it possible to have say the top 5 questions asked, somehow incorporated into the main hme page of the website, so withut actually logging onto the kb a user can see on the home page the top 5 requests, questions etc. Just an idea I seen this in message board forums and it would be a nice addition to the system
yes, this is provided with the RSS support. A RSS reader can be downloaded in our download section.
I notice the new version has a number of JS files in the Admin/Editor section.

Can anyone tell me how these work, what their function is and if I would find them of any use.
The JavaScript files are used for the WYSIWYG editor.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
spottedhaggis

Editing templates

Post by spottedhaggis »

So, with regards editing the templates, I assume if I were to use homesite or something like that I could edit the templates and set them to be centered at 800 wide to fit my site?
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi!

Yes, just edit the CSS file. The width there is relative, just set it to hard pixel numbers.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
spottedhaggis

editing CSS in 1.4.1

Post by spottedhaggis »

Hi again,

Nah, thats not gona work. The templates CSS file does not have anything at all width related, and even when I try and work it out myself, the page is a complete jumble.

The thing is, in the old one I did not have to touch the CSS, editing the template files themselves was enough for me to centre the entire site in 800 px wide format, but this one does not accept that sort of edit at all.

I give up for the moment, dont have the time to make it work so reverting back to 1.3.14 which works exactly as I want it to, so will try and figure outhow to ad the change language feature from 1.4.1 into this older version.

Thanks for all the help, it is appreciated.
Thorsten

Re: editing CSS in 1.4.1

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,
Nah, thats not gona work. The templates CSS file does not have anything at all width related, and even when I try and work it out myself, the page is a complete jumble.

Code: Select all

/**************************
The content
**************************/
#content{
    margin: 20px 20px 20px 240px;
    padding: 20px;
    font-size: 80%;
    }
Just add a

Code: Select all

width: 600px;
here and it shoul work.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
spottedhaggis

Weird!!!

Post by spottedhaggis »

Hi

OK, I tried that, and I tried it in several parts of the CSS but it appears to make no difference to the look of the page?

Should I be adjusting the tpl files rather than the CSS as changes to the cSS only alter the colours etc of the pages?
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

no, the changes should alter the complete layout and the colors.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
spottedhaggis

Post by spottedhaggis »

This is what my content section now says, as you suggested.

/**************************
The content
#content{
width: 800;
}

This did nothing.

However, if I edit the template, index.tpl, and place a table around the header section it centers the header and sets the width to 800. This worked the same as the old version, however, the index has areas that I cannot get alligned as easy as the older version.
spottedhaggis

Post by spottedhaggis »

Here is what the page now looks like with the alterations to the CSS page. The only reasons the header of the page is at 800 px wide and in the centre is because of the code below this link

http://www.ifseurope.net/test/kb2/

Code for index header section as follows. notice I have surrouned the section in a table, and the effect is as I want it to be.

<!-- start header -->
<table width="800" border="0" align="center" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0">
<tr>
<td><div id="header">
<h1>
{header}</h1>
<div id="horizontalnav">
<ul>
<li>{msgSearch}</li>
<li>{msgAddContent}</li>
<li>{msgQuestion}</li>
<li>{msgOpenQuestions}</li>
<li>{msgHelp}</li>
<li>{msgContact}</li>
</ul></td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>
</div>
<!-- end header -->
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,
spottedhaggis wrote: /**************************
The content
#content{
width: 800px;
}
you had to add a "px". But when it's okay for you with an table arround, it's okay for me. :)

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
spottedhaggis

Post by spottedhaggis »

LOL :-O I will give it another go. Been at this until 5am this morning
spottedhaggis

Post by spottedhaggis »

Nope :( Sorry still the only part that changes is the title, I can center and set width to 800 the title without a problem. The biggest issue seems to be the category section and search/labguage areas, these will not move to centre in line with title width of 800, cant ge tthem to.

I have tried arranging these areas into tables but they end up in the weirdest locations, including over the top of other parts (looks funny)