The original site was version 2.5. I (stupidly?) installed version 2.6 at a new host in hopes I could restore my original database in that and bypass the normal upgrade process.
After installation I downloaded a database from version 2.6 and compared that to 2.5 and realized that the format is slightly different. I then made a copy of my original database and edited that as best I could to make it match the version 2.6 database.
My attempts at restoring this modified version have thus far been unsuccessful. When I try to restore the database in the admin I see “You are not authorized”. I suspect this is because I'm logged in as a different user than the one in the modified database.
I also tried to restore the database using the PHPmyAdmin import feature in the Vistapanel at byethost. This failed too but it did give more meaningful error messages. The last message was:
Code: Select all
Error SQL query: -- pmf2.5: faquser faqadminlog faqcaptcha faqcategories faqcategory_group faqcategory_user faqcategoryrelations faqchanges faqcomments faqconfig faqdata faqdata_group faqdata_revisions faqdata_tags faqdata_user faqglossary faqgroup faqgroup_right faqlinkverifyrules faqnews faqquestions faqright faqsearches faqsessions faqstopwords faqtags faquser_group faquser_right faquserdata faquserlogin faqvisits faqvoting -- DO NOT REMOVE THE FIRST LINE! -- pmftableprefix: -- DO NOT REMOVE THE LINES ABOVE! -- Otherwise this backup will be broken. -- Table: faquser INSERT INTO faquser( user_id, login, session_id, session_timestamp, ip, account_status, last_login, auth_source, member_since ) VALUES ( 1, 'admin', '33a9f2c01ce869b2dfe1693e0e07fc2f', 1292791238, 'myipaddressremoved', 'protected', 20101219213719, 'local', 20101218031139 ) ; MySQL said: Documentation #1062 - Duplicate entry '1' for key 1
I have failed to fix this.
I’m considering deleting the 2.6 install then installing version 2.5 then restoring the database and then upgrade to 2.6 (if that's even possible). Or asking my friend to send me the entire site which I would upload to the host and then upgrade to 2.6. Doubtless the second option is easier than what I've been doing but I learned much by trying it the other way.
I apologize for the length of this post but I figured it would save time if I made a complete confession up front. Thank you for your help.
Here is the answer to this problem.