Question marks converted into `

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

calande

Question marks converted into `

Post by calande »

All of the sudden, question marks on my FAQ have been converted into ` symbols, it's really weird, because I'm sure PHP hasn't been updated, and also, I haven't updated phpMyFAQ for a few weeks now. Here's how it looks like: http://faqs.pcbsd.org/category19.html

Problem is that it's a technical web site, and inside snippet examples, there are some question marks. But now, with this change, most code examples are unusable... :cry:

Any idea?
Thanks,
rav

Same Problem: ? replaced by '

Post by rav »

Hi have the same Problem at the moment (Happened without changing something on the configuration, PHP, ....):

? is replaced in links by ' and phpMyFAQ (1.5.4) does not work longer (worked before whithout problems).

What was the solution in your case?
matteo

Re: Question marks converted into `

Post by matteo »

Hi,
calande wrote:All of the sudden, question marks on my FAQ have been converted into ` symbols, it's really weird, because I'm sure PHP hasn't been updated, and also, I haven't updated phpMyFAQ for a few weeks now. Here's how it looks like: http://faqs.pcbsd.org/category19.html

Problem is that it's a technical web site, and inside snippet examples, there are some question marks. But now, with this change, most code examples are unusable... :cry:

Any idea?
your website has the right charset according to that written in the page (Content-Type: text/html; charset=iso-8859-1) so what about any change in your backend? Have you perform some changes on your DB tables or server?

Ciao,
Matteo
phpMyFAQ QA / Developer
Amazon.co.uk Wishlist
calande

Post by calande »

Thanks Matteo, no I haven't :roll:
matteo

Post by matteo »

Hi,
FYI, an other user seems to have the same issue: read here. You're running mod_rewrite so I was confused that the issue could be within the backend config. I guess that if you'll disable mod_rewrite, you'll fall in a scenario like the other user.
But unfortunately at the moment this isn't of any help to me 'cause I need to understand what is causing the issue. Do you have any Reverse Proxy in front of your server (it seems: no)?

Ciao,
Matteo
phpMyFAQ QA / Developer
Amazon.co.uk Wishlist
rav

Post by rav »

Perhaps I found something: MySQL was updated by my provider short time ago (MySQL-Version now is: 5.024).

What't new: In all my tables of PMF-DB Kollation is set to "latin1_swedish_ci" !

Can this be th reason? (I use german only text in my PMF)

How to change that with phpMyAdmin only?
calande

Post by calande »

Matteo, no we don't have any Reverse Proxy in front of our server...
matteo

Post by matteo »

Hi all,
I'm not sure that changing the collation will affect the data inside (it depends if it was different from the previous one), but I suggest to pick up the experience of another user with the same issue: try to look at your inc/parser.php if those lines has been "changed".

Ciao,
Matteo
phpMyFAQ QA / Developer
Amazon.co.uk Wishlist
calande

Post by calande »

How strange... I overwrote this file with the original one from a freshly downloaded version of phpMyFAQ and... This fixed my problem :)
matteo

Post by matteo »

Glad to read that you've solved the issue :).
It would be important for the Community a description about how this issue happens: I guess that it is linked to how the user deploys PMF, using some FTP clients or Programs with an FTP support that messes up the file encoding.

Ciao,
Matteo
phpMyFAQ QA / Developer
Amazon.co.uk Wishlist