Supporting multiple FAQ domains

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

rickliveops

Supporting multiple FAQ domains

Post by rickliveops »

My company is evaluating FAQ/Knowledgebase solutions and phpMyFAQ looks great! However, we have some requirements that need to be met if we are to use this product. I'm hoping someone on the board can tell me if we can meet these and how easy or hard it might be.

Company background: we are an Internet-based, distributed call center platform. We have thousands of home-based telephone Agents and hundreds of Clients. Some Clients have their own separate Call Centers.

1) We need users of the knowledgebase to login. Are there user authentication modules available? (We don't use LDAP yet, but probably will migrate to that soon).

2) Based on the roles described above (i.e. Agent, Client, Staff, etc.), can we restrict access to content? In other words, can we limit content that Agents or Clients see, while showing more to Staff?

3) Can we customize a single instance of phpMyFAQ to appear differently for different Call Centers? (e.g. customize the title, logo and skin?). We do not want to have to completely separate installations for each of our Call Center instances (in other words, the content must be shared while the look may vary based on your login). I think of this as a form of localization; we might have the XYZ Company FAQ and the ABC Company FAQ all showing subsets of the total knowledgebase, with different skins for each.

Ideally, we need to be able to do all of this with minimal or no modification of the original source code (we don't want to be locked into our own proprietary version and not be able to upgrade as phpMyFAQ evolves.

Thanks and sorry for the long message.
Thorsten

Re: Supporting multiple FAQ domains

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,
1) We need users of the knowledgebase to login. Are there user authentication modules available? (We don't use LDAP yet, but probably will migrate to that soon).
This is supported by phpMyFAQ 2.0.0-beta.
2) Based on the roles described above (i.e. Agent, Client, Staff, etc.), can we restrict access to content? In other words, can we limit content that Agents or Clients see, while showing more to Staff?
This is also supported by phpMyFAQ 2.0.0-beta
3) Can we customize a single instance of phpMyFAQ to appear differently for different Call Centers? (e.g. customize the title, logo and skin?). We do not want to have to completely separate installations for each of our Call Center instances (in other words, the content must be shared while the look may vary based on your login). I think of this as a form of localization; we might have the XYZ Company FAQ and the ABC Company FAQ all showing subsets of the total knowledgebase, with different skins for each.

Ideally, we need to be able to do all of this with minimal or no modification of the original source code (we don't want to be locked into our own proprietary version and not be able to upgrade as phpMyFAQ evolves.
This isn't possible right now but we have some users asking for that. I think we'll put that on our todo list for the next version.

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
iznogoud

Post by iznogoud »

This is also supported by phpMyFAQ 2.0.0-beta
Great ! But I can't find how to do that..... And I should be grateful if you could tell me where to set these permissions (all I've found, is how to restrict access to edition, but all my content is always accessible to everybody, identified or not).

Regards,
Georges.
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

if you're adding a category or a record you can define which user oder group can access this category or record.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
rickliveops

Post by rickliveops »

You must install or configure phpMyFAQ 2 with medium security in order for the groups stuff to show up, though, right?
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,
rickliveops wrote:You must install or configure phpMyFAQ 2 with medium security in order for the groups stuff to show up, though, right?
that's correct.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist