Search problem in Japanese

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

richpav

Search problem in Japanese

Post by richpav »

We like phpMyFAQ quite a lot, but there's a problem with the search function:

Warning: Compilation failed: this version of PCRE is not compiled with PCRE_UTF8 support at offset 170656216 in c:\program files\easyphp\phpmyfaq\inc\functions.php on line 671

Warning: Compilation failed: this version of PCRE is not compiled with PCRE_UTF8 support at offset 170656216 in c:\program files\easyphp\phpmyfaq\inc\functions.php on line 672

It's complaining about UTF support but the text is encoded in EUC-JP.

v. 1.3.4 using EasyPHP 1.6.0.0 on Windows 2000

Are the developers interested in fixing problems with double-byte languages? I'll probably find more issues as I experiment.
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

this is a known problem in PHP 4.3.2 and below. :(
It should be fixed in the upcoming PHP 4.3.3...

Please send me all bugs which appear when using phpMyFAQ with double-byte languages.

Are you interested in translating the FAQ into Japanese?

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
richpav

Post by richpav »

Yes, I'm translating it now. I'll send it to you after a native speaker proofreads it.

I solved the search problem by commenting out the two offending lines of code.

Other than that, it seems to support Japanese quite well. Some of the ;middot& tags (or whatever) in the code were actually high ASCII characters instead of escaped HTML, so they didn't show up correctly, but they too were easy to fix.

Word order is different in Japanese, so there are a few places where I'll have to re-arrange a few of the language variables.

If you want to see a really good way to handle translations, take a look at Moodle. http://www.moodle.com/ There's an admin page that lists all the English and the local language side-by-side.
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

okay, I'll look at this page.

Thanks for your translation!

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist