Moving categories

Please report bugs here!

Moderator: Thorsten

johnschubert

Moving categories

Post by johnschubert »

I added several categories, with sub categories and when I tried to move them, it would sometimes mess up the order of the existing categories.

I am not sure if I could recreate the problem (I don't want to mess with mine, since it is working). However, if you add 4 main categories and then add sub categories, you will be in the same situation I was in. Now add a category and use the UP ARROW button to move it. If you are traversing several categories it will reverse two categories that shouldn't be affected.

For example:

Category Foo
SubCat. Bar
Category Alpha
SubCat. Beta

Now use the UP ARROW (from the Admin page) on "Beta" a few times. It would sometimes end up with....

Beta
Bar
Foo
Alpha

Bar and Foo got reveresed, yet I never touched them (just moved beta through them).

I'll post in another sections, but this area of FAQ could definately use some better controls, in terms of where groups are inserted, etc.

John
http://www.schube.com
http://www.schube.com/faq
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi John,

the function for category moving is a little bit buggy in phpMyFAQ 1.3.x. I'll rewrite the whole category functions for the next release phpMyFAQ 2.0.

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
AndrewB

Post by AndrewB »

I think you should put in a patch in the 1.3.x code to PREVENT the "Move Up" arrow moving a category up into a sub category position. i.e. ONLY allow same level moving.

This old bug messed up my FAQ :(

And as I have 1.3.7 - my backup is not good either :(
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi Andrew,

please send your backup to me, I'll can fix it manually. Together with phpMyFAQ 1.3.8 beta2, you can restore your whole FAQ.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
AndrewB

Post by AndrewB »

thanks Thorsten

see my other posts.. :)

I took the contents of the backup and ran it in phpMyAdmin and it seemed to work OK.

Do you think the data was not restored correctly using this method?
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi Andrew,

there were some bugs in restoring data when the FAQ got big entries. If all worked good for you, then it's okay! :)

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist