Using a “lock” image in non-public FAQ categories

You have a suggestion for a future version of phpMyFAQ? Then post it here!

Moderator: Thorsten

pt20100201

Using a “lock” image in non-public FAQ categories

Post by pt20100201 »

Proposal: using a “lock” image in non-public FAQ categories references/links

(Using a “lock” image in non-public FAQ categories)

Dear Sirs

In the case of non-public categories (and FAQ records in edition mode) it would be useful to have a “lock” symbol/image (or similar) near to it.

Are you planning to implement this kind of visual feedback?

Kind regards
2010-02-18
pt201002001
Thorsten

Re: Using a “lock” image in non-public FAQ categories

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

what are the benefits instead of hiding the non-public categories like it is now?

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
pt20100201

Re2: Re: Using a “lock” image in non-public FAQ categories

Post by pt20100201 »

Dear Thorsten Rinne
Thorsten wrote:what are the benefits instead of hiding the non-public categories like it is now?
This was also a subject of debate within our team, and it seems that the text in the post wasn’t clear [you may blame me – the person writing this one].

Not showing restricted categories is a more elegant solution than using a “lock icon”: the interface is less cluttered, users don’t ask themselves “I don’t have access to this link, did I made a mistake?”

Having categories with subcategories and/or records partially available to some members of a group is perhaps applicable only to our case.

We have information freely available to Internet and Intranet users. Some of the Intranet users may (or may not) have access to some restricted subcategories (and/or records on them) as other members of the same group.

On the other hand, trouble tickets (TT) relative to questions “why category X doesn’t appear on the page” and “why don’t I have access to this category/record” are processed in different ways.

In conclusion, the situation seems to be too specific. Please ignore it.

Thanks for your time

Kind regards
2010-03-01
pt20100201