Rewritten URL –using just minus or underscore and lowercase?

You have a suggestion for a future version of phpMyFAQ? Then post it here!

Moderator: Thorsten

pt20100201

Rewritten URL –using just minus or underscore and lowercase?

Post by pt20100201 »

Rewritten URL – using just minus or underscore and lowercase characters?

Dear Thorsten Rinne / Development Team

phpMyFAQ's rewritten URLs replace (an example) “space” with “minus” and existing “minus” with “underscore” (we are not going to talk about the difference between “minus”, “hyphen” and “hyphen-minus” characters).
This is a logical, correct, uniform and understandable methodology.

They also maintain uppercase and lowercase characters (also logical, correct,...)

However, some users may prefer a simpler and uniform approach: using just “minus” or “underscore” (but avoiding consecutive typing: “-” “_”, not “--” “__”) and lowercase characters.

As said before, phpMyFAQ approach is correct and logical.
Rewrite rules may be defined by the phpMyFAQ administrator - but not all users have the knowledge to define them.

So, in the main distribution (or as separate files – like the alternative “themes”) there could be user friendly files to implement these options.

Some DBMS (“BDs” may have a different behavior with “minus” characters - we had no problems with phpMyFAQ and MySQL / PostgreSQL), so if an user prefer “minus” (more legible and easier to type) to “underscore” (for external processing), he/she must be aware of that.

This is not a fundamental issue – and you can't implement all features desired by users – but if someone find it relevant he/she may build those files, making them available to the community.
Kind regards
2013-08-21
pt20100201
Thorsten

Re: Rewritten URL –using just minus or underscore and lowerc

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

I think we added the rewritten URLs to phpMyFAQ back in 2005 and a lot of pages now using these links for years. I don't think it's a good idea to change that for existing FAQs, but we could do that for new ones. But here's also the problem with maintaining two different schemes...

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
pt20100201

Re2:Re: Rewritten URL –using just minus or underscore and lo

Post by pt20100201 »

Re2:Re: Rewritten URL – using just minus or underscore and lowercase?
Dear Thorsten Rinne

Thank for your answer.
Thorsten wrote:...
I think we added the rewritten URLs to phpMyFAQ back in 2005 and a lot of pages now using these links for years. I don't think it's a good idea to change that for existing FAQs, but we could do that for new ones. But here's also the problem with maintaining two different schemes...
Thorsten
We understand the problem - specially "maintaining two different schemes".

However, a "cleaner" rewritten URL version could be more legible and more external search engine friendly - so, more "desirable" to user and/or top decision-makers.

You are making a deep revision of phpMyFAQ's base code: 3.0 version will have major changes in it's structure - perhaps then (for new FAQs)? but 2015 is too late and HTML5 will have / has other interaction features.

It is just an opinion.
Kind regards
2013-08-22
pt20100201
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

please add a feature request on GitHub with all URL schemes you like to have. I re-checked the code, it should be more easier than I first thought to maintain differend schemes.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
pt20100201

Re3:Re: Rewritten URL –using just minus or underscore and lo

Post by pt20100201 »

Re3:Re: Rewritten URL – using just minus or underscore and lowercase?
Thorsten wrote:...
please add a feature request on GitHub with all URL schemes you like to have. I re-checked the code, it should be more easier than I first thought to maintain differend schemes.
Another quick answer - thank.

"it should be more easier than I first thought" - starting the day with a good news.

We don't have a GitHub account, so we can't post the proposal there (yet).

Nevertheless, phpMyFAQ actions/reviews can only take place next week (we are starting another day with lot of tasks to perform... and terminate).

Perhaps we'll have new guide lines - regarding, e.g., the GitHub's (and similar) service - this month.

We hope you'll have a good day.
Kind regards
2013-08-22
pt20100201
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

if Github is not working for you, you can send me an email!

Thanks!

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist