Customizable options

You have a suggestion for a future version of phpMyFAQ? Then post it here!

Moderator: Thorsten

GnaXi

Customizable options

Post by GnaXi »

Hello Thorsten,

I'd like to start by saying great job on this project. It's great and suits a lot of my needs.

However, I would love for it to be more customizable, especially when it comes to permission for guests and users.

1. Function to disable the Sign up feature. Could imagine that being a common request for someone that would like a closed off FAQ.
2. Make it possible for guests to suggest translations (In general make it possible to edit the guest permission, as you would with any other user), just as they're able to Add a new FAQ (This feature seems only to appear for logged in users with the right permission)
3. The possibility of making the "Open questions" section language based, since the rest of the FAQ seems to be.
4. Translate News, as you can with Categories and FAQs, so that we don't have to create a new one for each language. It gets messy if you have more than just a couple of languages.
5. Make language based permission instead of board-wide only. Lets say I have a guy that is responsible for the German Categories and FAQs. I would like him to be able to translate the original English Categories, FAQs and News, but not delete/edit the original. This doesn't seem to currently be possible.
6. In the configuration there is a tooltip saying: URL for link verification "(e.g.: http://www.example.org/faq)". This is incorrect. The link should be http://www.example.org/faq/, else some of the linking on the site doesn't work correctly. For example, when you create an FAQ and want to see the Preview "See FAQ im Frontend" it will link to http://www.example.org/faqindex.php, which just doesn't work.

I know that I could be adding all these in separate feature requests on the gibhub, but I would be feeling like I was spamming the entire thing :P
- And I would like your opinion about these before doing that.

Side note: When people are creating an account currently, they should be receiving an email with their password, but of course this is never even sent, since it's not possible to setup SMTP settings. How is this currently working, if at all?

Thanks for your time!
GnaXi
Thorsten

Re: Customizable options

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

thanks a lot!
1. Function to disable the Sign up feature. Could imagine that being a common request for someone that would like a closed off FAQ.
Already implemented in phpMyFAQ 2.9
2. Make it possible for guests to suggest translations (In general make it possible to edit the guest permission, as you would with any other user), just as they're able to Add a new FAQ (This feature seems only to appear for logged in users with the right permission)
Should be possible for all users, if not, that's a bug.
3. The possibility of making the "Open questions" section language based, since the rest of the FAQ seems to be.
They are language based, they use the currently selected language.
4. Translate News, as you can with Categories and FAQs, so that we don't have to create a new one for each language. It gets messy if you have more than just a couple of languages.
Please add this on Github.
5. Make language based permission instead of board-wide only. Lets say I have a guy that is responsible for the German Categories and FAQs. I would like him to be able to translate the original English Categories, FAQs and News, but not delete/edit the original. This doesn't seem to currently be possible.
Right, not possible currently as no one requested that feature until today. :-)
6. In the configuration there is a tooltip saying: URL for link verification "(e.g.: http://www.example.org/faq)". This is incorrect. The link should be http://www.example.org/faq/, else some of the linking on the site doesn't work correctly. For example, when you create an FAQ and want to see the Preview "See FAQ im Frontend" it will link to http://www.example.org/faqindex.php, which just doesn't work.
I'll fix it.
Side note: When people are creating an account currently, they should be receiving an email with their password, but of course this is never even sent, since it's not possible to setup SMTP settings. How is this currently working, if at all?
It uses the PHP builtin mail() function. With phpMyFAQ 2.9 we support SMTP as well.

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
GnaXi

Post by GnaXi »

Thanks for getting back to me and answering all my questions :mrgreen:
Thorsten wrote:
Already implemented in phpMyFAQ 2.9
Where? I can't seem to find it in the configuration menu for 2.9.
Thorsten wrote:
Should be possible for all users, if not, that's a bug.
It is possible for all users, yes. But not guests.
Thorsten wrote:
They are language based, they use the currently selected language.
Doesn't seem like it though. Recreating it:
1. Choose German language
2. Create a question
3. Choose English language
4. Go to "Open Questions"
The question created in German is now shown under the English version.
Thorsten wrote:
Right, not possible currently as no one requested that feature until today. :-)
To Github we go! ;)
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,
Where? I can't seem to find it in the configuration menu for 2.9.
it's under security configuraiton -> Enable registration for visitors

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist