spam filter

You have a suggestion for a future version of phpMyFAQ? Then post it here!

Moderator: Thorsten

jqj

spam filter

Post by jqj »

As Thorsten has mentioned in other threads, spambots are becoming an increasingly serious problem. We very much need a spam filter in phpMyFAQ, or at least more flexible IP address filtering.

At a minimum I recommend that IPCheck be extended to do some limited regex matching. Perhaps something like (allowing specification of prefixes to block a whole IP address range rather than a single IP address) replacing the current "==" test with

Code: Select all

if ( ereg('^'.$oneIP,$ip) ) { 
I'm not sure, though, what additional checking can reasonably be done in IPCheck(). In my copy of phpMyFAQ I had to take the drastic step of replacing the "deny" check in IPCheck with an "allow" check, and to specify the set of IP address ranges that I would accept posts from. I would prefer not to do that, though -- better to keep the IP check as a "deny" but add some other filtering.

I would be very appreciative of any suggestions on effective (and easily implemented) heuristics for detecting spambots.
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

in 1.5.6 we added the possibility to block whole IP ranges. We're working on the spam problem.

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist