Will it support language file encode with UTF-8?

You have a suggestion for a future version of phpMyFAQ? Then post it here!

Moderator: Thorsten

ATang

Will it support language file encode with UTF-8?

Post by ATang »

I'd saved a chinese language file to UTF-8, and it report error:

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:\www\xampp\htdocs\phpmyfaq\lang\language_zh.php:1) in D:\www\xampp\htdocs\phpmyfaq\admin\header.php on line 27

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at D:\www\xampp\htdocs\phpmyfaq\lang\language_zh.php:1) in D:\www\xampp\htdocs\phpmyfaq\admin\header.php on line 28

Will it support language file encode with UTF-8 in the future?
Last edited by ATang on Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
matteo

BOM issue?

Post by matteo »

Hi,
it seems to be a PHP issue regarding how to save PHP source files, I think it is related to the BOM, Byte Order Mark, http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/utf_bom.html#BOM: can you check if you have extra chars before "<?php"?
phpMyFAQ QA / Developer
Amazon.co.uk Wishlist
ATang

Re: BOM issue?

Post by ATang »

matteo wrote:Hi,
it seems to be a PHP issue regarding how to save PHP source files, I think it is related to the BOM, Byte Order Mark, http://www.unicode.org/unicode/faq/utf_bom.html#BOM: can you check if you have extra chars before "<?php"?
Thank you!
It's seems all right after the language file was saved as UTF-8 NO BOM.
ATang

Post by ATang »

But I found that the wysiwyg editor is dispear, there is only a text frame by using IE. There is not problem by using Firefox.
matteo

Post by matteo »

Hi,
glad to see that you solved the issue saving with no BOM: I hope this tip will be usefull also for other "unicode" PMF users who wants to customize/review the localization strings :)
Could you send me (matteo@phpmyfaq.de) your language file (.zip or .tar.gz, no plain file for avoiding encoding corrumption) and your phpMyFAQ version?
I guess that the issue could be arised by using not-ASCII chars in the title of a faq (See e.g.: <Internal Links...> drop down).
Could you also email me a compressed version of the HTML source of your PMF broken (==with no WYSIWYG editor) page when editing a FAQ ?
phpMyFAQ QA / Developer
Amazon.co.uk Wishlist
ATang

Post by ATang »

matteo wrote:Hi,
glad to see that you solved the issue saving with no BOM: I hope this tip will be usefull also for other "unicode" PMF users who wants to customize/review the localization strings :)
Could you send me (matteo@phpmyfaq.de) your language file (.zip or .tar.gz, no plain file for avoiding encoding corrumption) and your phpMyFAQ version?
I guess that the issue could be arised by using not-ASCII chars in the title of a faq (See e.g.: <Internal Links...> drop down).
Could you also email me a compressed version of the HTML source of your PMF broken (==with no WYSIWYG editor) page when editing a FAQ ?
My phpmyfaq version is the latest 1.6.2.
I'd send you the UTF-8 language file.

I guess you're right. The WYSIWYG editor was disappear only when I edit the old FAQ page. If I make a new FAQ all is ok.
matteo

Post by matteo »

Hi
ATang wrote:I'd send you the UTF-8 language file.
Found in my mailbox, thanks.
ATang wrote:I guess you're right. The WYSIWYG editor was disappear only when I edit the old FAQ page. If I make a new FAQ all is ok.
Please, could you email me those two scenarios? Just the HTML source for both cases, the working and the failing. I want to verifiy if there/where is something broken in PMF code. I'm not able to reproduce it by my own 'cause I know nothing about Chinese language.

TIA,
Matteo
phpMyFAQ QA / Developer
Amazon.co.uk Wishlist
ATang

Post by ATang »

matteo wrote:Hi
Please, could you email me those two scenarios? Just the HTML source for both cases, the working and the failing. I want to verifiy if there/where is something broken in PMF code. I'm not able to reproduce it by my own 'cause I know nothing about Chinese language.

TIA,
Matteo
There is no meaning in the file you wanted, because the error was occured by the old content, which was created before I use the UTF-8 encode. When I run a fresh new phpmyfaq in UTF-8 encode, all is ok.
matteo

Oopss... now I've understood :)

Post by matteo »

Hi,
ATang wrote:There is no meaning in the file you wanted, because the error was occured by the old content, which was created before I use the UTF-8 encode. When I run a fresh new phpmyfaq in UTF-8 encode, all is ok.
OK, now I've understood :)
Would like to be quoted as @author in this encode-renew ZH language file? If yes, please send me an email or a PM message with:

"Your_Name" <"your_email">

or just:

"Your_Name"

TIA,
Matteo
phpMyFAQ QA / Developer
Amazon.co.uk Wishlist