Database Connetion Problems 2.0.7

All about webserver configurations, PHP and databases.

Moderator: Thorsten

londan

Database Connetion Problems 2.0.7

Post by londan »

Hi,

I've been using phpMyFAQ version 2.0.2 for a while now for a small FAQ on my personal site. Everything's been working a treat.

On Friday I upgraded to version 2.0.7 with no problems in the install. On Saturday I started using the site and got database connection errors:

Code: Select all

The connection to the database server could not be established.
The error message of the database server: User ****** already has more than 'max_user_connections' active connections.
The server is running PHP version 4.4.8, safe_mode=off, register_globals=off. The really odd thing is that the server started generating a few massive files in my phpMyFAQ directory: core.1278709 and core.25438876, both 243.8MB in size.

I then did a fresh install of version 2.0.7 and restored the database using the Admin > Backup facility, but again had database connection errors.

I then did another fresh install of 2.0.7 and rebuilt a portion of the FAQs by re-entering them, but the problem persists.

Finally I did a fresh install of version 2.5.0 Alpha, re-entering a few FAQ records. Thus far no database connection errors have occurred, but 2.5.0 isn't really ready yet for the real world, so guess my only option is to revert to 2.0.2. The server is running PHP version 5.2.5 via CGI, safe_mode=off, register_globals=off.

I'd really rather use 2.0.7 and keep upgrading, but just thought I'd do a quick post to see if anyone had encountered similar problem and knew of a way around.

Any help greatly appreciated and thanks to all the phpMyFAQ developers as it's a great little product!

Cheers, Dan
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi Dan,

the error message said, that there are too many connections. This is no problem with PHP but something is wrong on your server, maybe too many visitors.

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
londan

Thanks

Post by londan »

Hi Thorsten,

Wow, such a quick response! I've now reverted to 2.0.2 and everything is working fine. Very odd that both 2.0.2 and 2.5.0 work without database connection issues, while 2.0.7 runs into trouble. Probably is something to do with my shared hosting setup.

I did a support request and my hosting supplier suggests that the script is likely "not properly closing the connection the database". I'm not terribly up on PHP/MySQL so don't really know if this could be possible.

Anyway, will stick with 2.0.2 for now and try to upgrade when 2.5.0 makes it's stable debut.

Thanks for the help and really like the new template design for 2.5.0!

Cheers, Dan
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

the reason is really strange because the differences between 2.0.2 and 2.0.7 are just minor fixes. 2.5.0 has the bigger changes due to the use of PHP 5.2.

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
londan

Web Server

Post by londan »

I think it's probably something to do with the web server I'm hosted on. It does periodically give me database connection problems, though this is the first I've ever had any with phpMyFAQ.

Will stick with 2.0.2 for now on that site. I'll do some more testing with 2.0.7 by installing it on a different server, restoring the identical content and then seeing how it goes. I'll update this post if I can figure it all out.

Thanks so much for the feedback!

Cheers, Dan