Need help with a few problems

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

Onur

Need help with a few problems

Post by Onur »

Hi all,

Here are some problems I've been having since the installation. I appreciate any comments..

I just installed phpMyFaq on Apache 2.x server, running with MySQL Server 5.0 and Php 4.

- When I activate mod_rewrite support, all the links get broken. I changed the RewriteBase from /phpmyfaq/ to /faq/ which is the actual path on the server. Did not help.

- I am able to add sub-categories under main categories using the admin page. However, the sub-categories do not display on the main page - neither on the left menu, nor when clicked on a main category.

- I can add users but not groups. There is no control on the admin page about 'user groups'.

Thanks in advance for your kind assistance,

Onur
Thorsten

Re: Need help with a few problems

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,
- When I activate mod_rewrite support, all the links get broken. I changed the RewriteBase from /phpmyfaq/ to /faq/ which is the actual path on the server. Did not help.
did you renamed _.htaccess to .htaccess?
- I am able to add sub-categories under main categories using the admin page. However, the sub-categories do not display on the main page - neither on the left menu, nor when clicked on a main category.
how did you configured the permissions?
- I can add users but not groups. There is no control on the admin page about 'user groups'.
Change the permission level to "medium".

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
Onur

Re: Need help with a few problems

Post by Onur »

Thorsten wrote:
how did you configured the permissions?

Change the permission level to "medium".
Thorsten, thank you for your assistance but how do I change the permissions level ? I don't remember choosing a permission level during installation :?
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

you can change it in the configuration.

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
Onur

Post by Onur »

Thorsten,

Appreciate your patience, dealing with rookies like me :wink:

Changing the permission from "basic" to "medium" made it possible for "user groups" to function. However, "subcategories" problem still exists. SHould I change the permissions level to "high" or do you have another suggestion?
Thorsten wrote:Hi,
did you renamed _.htaccess to .htaccess?
YEs I did rename that file, but couldn't get it to work. After activating mod_rewrite support, all the links got broken sudenly :?
phpmyfaqforme

mod_rewrite

Post by phpmyfaqforme »

To fix the broken links go into your .htaccess file

Around the 15th line you will see

Code: Select all

# the path to your phpMyFAQ installation
RewriteBase /myphpfaq/
Most likely you will want to change your Rewrite base to

/faq/

Or whatever directory you have set your initial faq file to.

Hope this helps
londan

Mod Rewrite Docs

Post by londan »

Hi,

Thanks for this awesome software and the excellent support and docs site. I ran into the same issue when enabling mod_rewrite and though I found the answer right here in the forums within minutes, just thought it might help other new users if you added this advice to the Documentation on the main site.

On page http://www.phpmyfaq.de/dokumentation.2.0.en.php#2h in the 2.h. Enabling mod_rewrite support section, add the advice:

Set Base Directory Path
If you've installed phpMyFAQ in the directory /phpmyfaq/ then you're good to go, otherwise, in line 31 of the .htaccess file, change the code:

RewriteBase /phpmyfaq/
to point to the folder where your phpMyFAQ is installed, i.e.

RewriteBase /faq/
Hope this helps others just a bit and thanks again to the developers!

Cheers, Dan