Improving Search

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

rickliveops

Improving Search

Post by rickliveops »

I am wondering if you have plans to provide more intelligent searching in phpMyFAQ. Right now, it appears that search is doing no relevance ranking of results. For example, if I search for "foo bar", I find all articles with either "foo" or "bar" but these are sorted in record ID order, not in order of the articles with the highest match (i.e. the article with both "foo" and "bar" should be sorted over the ones with only "foo" or "bar" but not both).

What I would really like would be to be able to point a different search engine entirely at the database, such as the Google Appliance (http://www.google.com/enterprise/gsa/)

Also, I continue to be baffled by the "Related Entries" feature. It appears that phpMyFAQ will randomly select articles if it can't find enough truly related ones. I did a test by creating 3 articles that were clearly related either by words in the title, the body and or the keywords. When searching for one of these articles, the other two were returned as Related, as they should have been. But so were two additional, completely unrelated articles. I have the number of related entries configured to 5, so it seems phpMyFAQ wants to fulfill this number at the expense of returning truly related entries.
rickliveops

Post by rickliveops »

To clarify my first point: in my search, I see the articles sorted by the order of their record id (e.g. #451 comes first, followed by #452, 453, etc, even if #453 is the record with the highest relevance to my search.)