Firefox Cut/Paste and Spell Check Issues - Partial Solution

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

dweiss

Firefox Cut/Paste and Spell Check Issues - Partial Solution

Post by dweiss »

For those of you that are interested, I have found a partial solution to the issues with Firefox than do not allow cutting / pasting into the FAQ editor, as well as disabling the Firefox real time spell checker. Basically, what I show below is a "work-around" and is probably most useful to administrators of phpMyFAQ installations, rather than the typical end-users. Specifically, if you use Firefox to do a lot of cutting and pasting to create your FAQs, along with some original writing and editing using the phpMyFAQ provided text editor, then these changes will make your work at least somewhat easier. In brief, you will now be able to cut / paste directly using Firefox and the phpMyFAQ editor's normal commands, and spelling errors will be easier to spot and correct.

FYI: The Firefox spell check solution will benefit you and any of your site's users with editorial access (the ability to write or edit FAQ material on your system), but it remains only a partial solution: it identifies errors in real time but does not provide all the usual correction options that Firefox is capable of. The Firefox cut / paste solution can be implemented individually by any Firefox user and will therefore benefit any of them that have editorial access to your FAQ system.

For the cut / paste issue, see the article at: https://developer.mozilla.org/en-US/doc ... references

The suggestions on that page will solve the cut and paste issue on a user-by-user basis for Firefox users willing to make a small change in their own Firefox configuration. For FAQ administrators, this is an easy and safe modification to make to your Firefox installation, since it will only change the browser's behavior when viewing your own phpMyFAQ site. As discussed in the article linked above, you will add some code to the "user.js" file on your personal system and specifically identify your phpMyFAQ site in the code where the article shows "https://www-archive.mozilla.org." Just replace the site domain in that term with your own and also be sure to properly specify either "http" or "https" or both and you will be done.

For the spell checking problem, it is possible at least to make improperly spelled words show up as such upon entry, although you still will not have the proposed correction options normally shown by Firefox.

To do this, make the following change to your tiny_mce.js file which is in the phpMyFAQ /admin/editor directory. Search for the term: "spellcheck=false" (no quotes) and change it to: "spellcheck=true"

Note, since the tiny_mce.js file, as provided in the phpMyFAQ software package, is displayed essentially as a single line of code when pulled into a text editor, the term "spellcheck=false" is a little difficult to find. The best way to locate it is probably to use your editor's Search or Find function.

Alternatively, you can try to go directly to the term's position in the code at a specific line number and column; In my copy of the file, in phpMyFAQ ver. 2.8.22, I found the term at a point shown by my editor as Line 1, position 156,668. I believe that specific position identifier will be valid for most of the recent releases of phpMyFAQ, but it is possible that the code for the tiny_mce.js file was different in some previous version, so you may get different results. Likewise, the tiny_mce.js code could be modified in the future, again changing the exact position, so the search function is probably the best option. Keep in mind that the tiny_mce.js code is provided to phpMyFAQ by other developers, so the phpMyFAQ team is not responsible for it.

I hope this is helpful to those of you that have experienced these problems, or minor frustrations with using phpMyFAQ, In fact, the issues really are not with phpMyFAQ itself, but rather with the functioning of the text editor used by phpMyFAQ. Since Thorsten and the team did not write the editor code, it is not fair to suggest these issues are their problem.

Finally, if anyone has a better solution to these issues, or knows how to make the Firefox spell checking function fully operational within the text editor in phpMyFAQ, I would appreciate it if you would let me know.

Thanks,

-Danny.
tracy123

Re: Firefox Cut/Paste and Spell Check Issues - Partial Solution

Post by tracy123 »

I think new version has built in capacity to check that!
tachophobiaipledges