Numerous Newbie Questions

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

ljefi

Numerous Newbie Questions

Post by ljefi »

Hi,

I have been looking for a bilingual knowledgebase solution for our IT Service Desk and phpMyFAQ looks perfect, I just have a few questions - apologies if these should be separate forum posts, let me know and I'll split if required)

Any comments/help much appreciated.

Single Sign On/LDAP support
Does this allow customers to post questions etc and to authenticate with their active directory details rather than registering with "new" accounts in phpMyFAQ?

Some elements not translated, how is this achieved
We would be presenting the FAQ in both English and Welsh, I notice when using the Welsh interface some of the fields remain in English. Where can I find these to amend?

Attachment too big error
When using the online demo I attempt to upload images to an FAQ but am told the file is too big (doesn't seem to matter how much I shrink it)

Hide "translate this FAQ"
Can this option be hidden?

Send email on FAQ resolving issue for customer
Ideally I would like some way of generating an email to our Service Desk if the FAQ fixed the user's problem so that we can report on this and show the benefit of the FAQ. Would it be relatively straightforward for someone with PHP knowledge to add a button along the lines "Click here if this FAQ resolved your issue"? Alternatively I guess it's possible to get at the ratings in the database and consider/assume that anything rated 4or5 was a resolved case.

PDF footer doesn't display image tag
On the online demo install I tried adding a HTML IMG tag linked to a remotely hosted image but this did not display when I exported to PDF. The code was a cut and paste from an IMG tag being used elsewhere so the URL etc is correct.

Many thanks
Lee
Thorsten

Re: Numerous Newbie Questions

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,
Single Sign On/LDAP support
Does this allow customers to post questions etc and to authenticate with their active directory details rather than registering with "new" accounts in phpMyFAQ?
short answer: yes (a copy will be created internally in phpMyFAQ for some functions, but authentication is always against the AD)
Some elements not translated, how is this achieved
We would be presenting the FAQ in both English and Welsh, I notice when using the Welsh interface some of the fields remain in English. Where can I find these to amend?
English is always the fallback, if other language strings are missing. The only languages fully translated should be Englisch and German. But you can add the missing translation in the translation center in the admin configuration. You can provide your work to us, too. It will be then included in the next release for everyone.
Attachment too big error
When using the online demo I attempt to upload images to an FAQ but am told the file is too big (doesn't seem to matter how much I shrink it)
I think we have a stupid configuration here. It's just a demo. :)

Code: Select all

[b]Hide "translate this FAQ"[/b]
Can this option be hidden?
yes, just removed from the template.
Send email on FAQ resolving issue for customer
Ideally I would like some way of generating an email to our Service Desk if the FAQ fixed the user's problem so that we can report on this and show the benefit of the FAQ. Would it be relatively straightforward for someone with PHP knowledge to add a button along the lines "Click here if this FAQ resolved your issue"? Alternatively I guess it's possible to get at the ratings in the database and consider/assume that anything rated 4or5 was a resolved case.
Yes, this feature should be straight forward.
PDF footer doesn't display image tag
On the online demo install I tried adding a HTML IMG tag linked to a remotely hosted image but this did not display when I exported to PDF. The code was a cut and paste from an IMG tag being used elsewhere so the URL etc is correct.
oh, I never tested it with images, only some HTML code. Please post a issue here: https://github.com/thorsten/phpMyFAQ/issues

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
ljefi

Re: Numerous Newbie Questions

Post by ljefi »

Hi

Many thanks for the response, really seems to be an awesome product.

With regard to sending an email from a "Click here if this FAQ resolved your issue" button is this something achievable within phpMyFAQ as it stands or would I need to locate the php file responsible for displaying the individual FAQ's and amend with my own bespoke changes?

I found some sample code online for sending an email via PHP, would this work "out of the box"?

Code: Select all

<?php
// The message
$message = "Line 1\nLine 2\nLine 3";

// In case any of our lines are larger than 70 characters, we should use wordwrap()
$message = wordwrap($message, 70);

// Send
mail('caffeinated@example.com', 'My Subject', $message);
?> 
Many thanks
Lee