records being added by spambots that cannot be deleted.

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

softwareadmin

records being added by spambots that cannot be deleted.

Post by softwareadmin »

I have noticed hundreds of unapproved records that appear to have been entered by spam-bots. The articles are nothing but a series of URLs, usually over 5K in length. When trying to delete them though, the admin interface changes to chinese and even when clicking on the correct links, the article is not deleted. The only way to remove them is via MySQL directly. Is there something that I am missing? Also, is there any way that I can prevent the 'Add Question' form from being hijacked like this? (like perhaps restrict this feature to admins only?)

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

we're working on a spam protection in the next version. I'll check if there's a bug in deleting records. Which phpMyFAQ version with which database do you use?

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
softwareadmin

Post by softwareadmin »

Sorry.. phpMyFAQ version 1.5.5, MySQL version 3.23.49, PHP version 4.3.11

Is there an easy way to restrict the addtion of records to an admin user? THanks again.
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,
softwareadmin wrote:Is there an easy way to restrict the addtion of records to an admin user? THanks again.
the good thing is, that the spam records won't be seen by public. You could remove the link "add new content" in index.tpl and delete save.php so that no new records were added.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
jazcyk

spam ...

Post by jazcyk »

I have had this spam occasionally too, but never had problems deleting it from Admin Panel.

Also blocking the ip of the spammer has worked OK here.
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

the deleting works for me here on MySQL and SQLite...

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
softwareadmin

Post by softwareadmin »

Thanks. Apparently a log out and log in process was requried to see that the record was actually deleted. Here's what was happening - when I would click the 'delete' icon for one of these, the admin interface would change to chinese (I think). Although clicking on correct button here (guessing by position) would yield the delete confirmation screen, clicking the correct button there (again guessing by position) would leave the admin interface in chinese and the spam record still displayed in the list. After logging out and in again (to reset the language to EN) however, the offending record is gone. Thanks again.
jazcyk

multilingual ...

Post by jazcyk »

looks like phpmyfaq is a VERY multilingual system :D