How to integrate Googe Site Search in a nice way?

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

Dawn

How to integrate Googe Site Search in a nice way?

Post by Dawn »

Hi,

I'm using PMF for an FAQ around the topic iPhone. In general it works really great. At the moment I got about 1000 unique visitors a day. But the faq topics are counting, and the bigger this project gets (now I've got 228 topics) its harder to find the wanted information. A lot of my visitors using the search feature (which is now with PMF 2.5.0 more focused) but I noticed that the search of PMF doesn't work very well. For example if I'm searching for more than one word, the search results which containing both words doesn't get priorised. Are there any plans to improove this search feature? Or is it possilbe to integreate google search in a nice way?

Best regards,
Dawn
Thorsten

Re: How to integrate Googe Site Search in a nice way?

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

which database do you use? If you use MySQL you can use the MySQL fulltext search options.

We plan to refactor and improve the search function in version 2.6.

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi Thorsten,

You're very fast with replying as usally :) I'm using MySQL yes, where can I enable this options?

Sounds nice that this features will be improoved.

Best regards,
Andy
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

we're using the MySQL option by default. Here is the documentation: http://dev.mysql.com/doc/refman/5.1/en/ ... olean.html

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

Hi Thorsten,

Thanks for the link! I've tried this already but when I'm searching for "just+testing" it displays as first result an entry which contains only "just" and not "testing" too as it should (of course such an entry exits). So this isn' enough to offer my visitors a useful search function.

So I integrated Google custom search into my site which has got a massive better results. But it looks now very ugly on screens with a small resolution. Google custom search has to have a width of a minimum of 795 pixels and the most viewed and latest topic entries (on the right side) are looking very ugly on resolutions smaller than 1280x800 (and then only maximized). So I tought it would be nice to turn off the contents of the right columns. Unfortunately I don't know how this can be done only for the search site. Can you please give me any idea how do I have to modify the index.tpl?

Best regards,
Dawn
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

you can modify the layout by editing the CSS in template/style.css.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
Dawn

Post by Dawn »

What do I have to do to hide "most read topics" and "lastest topics" on the search page only? I know how I would remove this areas, but not how to remove/hide them at the search page.

Best regards,
Dawn
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

badly... this isn't an easy task... I added the improvement of our search for phpMyFAQ 2.6.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist