Consolidated Configuration Controls

You have a suggestion for a future version of phpMyFAQ? Then post it here!

Moderator: Thorsten

dweiss

Consolidated Configuration Controls

Post by dweiss »

Although phpMyFAQ has a lot of options built into the code that can be used to change various parameters, adjust the look and feel, and so on, they are generally scattered through the code, and often accessible only by modifying the php files. Several things can be done to make it easier to access the user configurable options and enable web masters to control their phpMyFAQ implementations.

1. First, to the maximum extent possible, all "option switches" and other controls should be consolidated in a master configuration file with detailed documentation and comments in the code.

2. Then, an even better solution would be to bring all of the various controls and options to the web master through a browser-based GUI control panel, again with detailed documentation.

3. Although much of the appearance of phpMyFAQ is controllable by modifying the CSS files, the number and presentation of those files is a bit confusing.
  • - The number of different CSS files is a bit confusing. While some of the files may be there for those wishing to build their own themes, the documentation does not adequately address which files are for what purposes. Specifically, if I just want to make modifications to the appearance of my site, is there a single CSS file that I can deal with, or must I make changes in more than one file?

- I also understand that some users want the benefits of the "minified" CSS files, but such files present real problems for those that wish to make custom modifications. At the least, it should be clearer which files must remain with the installation and which are only needed for special purposes or for certain kinds of development work.
4. The documentation could be much better than it is, both in terms of the level of detail and the coverage of information on how web masters can implement phpMyFAQ sites with a customized appearance and using various functional options.
-Danny
E-mail Contact Form for Danny Weiss
DC Society of Certified Public Managers
www.dccpm.org
Thorsten

Re: Consolidated Configuration Controls

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

you are right, that our documentation could be much much better.
1. First, to the maximum extent possible, all "option switches" and other controls should be consolidated in a master configuration file with detailed documentation and comments in the code.
Most of them ware in one database table called "faqconfig", we'll plan to move as much as possible into this table during the development of phpMyFAQ 2.9.
3. Although much of the appearance of phpMyFAQ is controllable by modifying the CSS files, the number and presentation of those files is a bit confusing.
We're working on that issue for 2.9 as well.
4. The documentation could be much better than it is, both in terms of the level of detail and the coverage of information on how web masters can implement phpMyFAQ sites with a customized appearance and using various functional options.
This is something where you can help as our documentation is written in the simple Markdown format and available here: https://github.com/thorsten/phpMyFAQ/bl ... ntation.md

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
dweiss

Post by dweiss »

Thorsten wrote:Hi,
you are right, that our documentation could be much much better.

Most of them are in one database table called "faqconfig", we'll plan to move as much as possible into this table during the development of phpMyFAQ 2.9.

This is something where you can help as our documentation is written in the simple Markdown format and available here: https://github.com/thorsten/phpMyFAQ/bl ... ntation.md
bye Thorsten
[/quote]

Thorsten -

Other than making comments here, just how are you suggesting that I or others might help with the documentation? I looked at the documentation link and it looks like the main documentation page. I did not see a place for user comments or additions. Am I missing something? Keep in mind that people that do not normally work on programming projects do not automatically know anything about github and the processes used there.

As for the configuration switches, you indicated that the results are kept in a "faqconfig" database or table. However, is there a specific PHP file through which those options should be modified?

I am happy to help where i can, but need to know how best to do so.
-Danny
E-mail Contact Form for Danny Weiss
DC Society of Certified Public Managers
www.dccpm.org
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

helping on documentation is quite easy on Github. If you have an account at Github, you can "fork" every open source project like phpMyFAQ. Then you have your own "copy" of phpMyFAQ. For example, you can use the Github apps for Windows and OS X to do that. To edit the Markdown based documentation, just do that and save the file. Then you can create a pull request. Here's a blog entry how to do that: https://guides.github.com/activities/forking/

For the configuration, there's no PHP file with them all listed. Sorry.

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist