Configuration Settings and Permissions

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

raffman

Configuration Settings and Permissions

Post by raffman »

Trying to change the configuration settings such as the name of my FAQ but the changes do not take effect. I suspect it's because I need to change permissions but I'm not sure which files and to what settings.

Please advise....

Rich
jazcyk

oh those permissions ...

Post by jazcyk »

I have had a lot of problems too with that. Is it a *nix server? I suppose it is.

I would simply apply the privilege changes to the /faq directory and all files and subfolders.

From a good graphical FTP-client you should be able to right-click your faq folder and choose "change CHMOD (code/value)" or something like it. There is normally a checkbox available where to check "apply changes to all files and sub-folders". Do that. A CHMOD value 755 will do (read-write-execute for user, read-execute for group and others). Your FTP-client should also tell you who is the user for the faq-folder. If for some reason it is not the right user appearing it will not be any serious security flaw in my opinion to set it at 777 (read-write-execute for all).

But Thorsten: I know that the name of the database user is stored in inc/data.php but where is the name of the OS-user that phpmyfaq connects with stored in the phpmyfaq file hierachy actually?

Choice of FTP-client is a matter of taste. I mostly work with smartftp www.smartftp.com . It works fine here. It is free for personal use.

The problems I have had are a somewhat special nature. I experienced that the CHMOD/privilege changes took effect OK with existing files, but NEW files were created without write-acces for user. That meant the the sessions logs were blank (the session logs consist of a text-file for each day). But we are working from Denmark and India on our own dedicated (hosted) server located in California and it was a little tricky to tell the server over a SSH-connection that new files should have same privilege-level as the folder itself. I learned a lot about *nix then :o . I don't think it is your problem!
raffman

Config Settings

Post by raffman »

Thanks for responding however, it did not solve my problem. When I log in and then try to change the information on the configuration page nothing happens.

Is there documentation somewhere that I can read to tell me what files to set permissions on?
jazcyk

that did not help me ..

Post by jazcyk »

you just did set permissions on ALL files in the FAQ system, didn't you?

so what should be good for to set the same permissions once more on SOME files?

If all files are CHMOD 755 (or 777) and the user/owner is correct it is not a privilege problem!

But the name of the FAQ is in the /inc/config.php -file like most settings are. Database info is in the /inc/data.php -file. You can check the privileges to those two files.

No ... here at phpmyFAQ we don't document things. Documentation tends to be wrong anyway ... so better try and error ... it is also more fun coding than documenting

... got it Thorsten? :D
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

if you could install phpMyFAQ and create the file config.php, when you should be able to change the config as well.

Did you get any error?

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
raffman

Post by raffman »

I changed the permission on the config.php file to 777 and that allowed me to change the name of the FAQ board. Thank you for that advice.

I still have the problem of trying to add and/or accept questions (entries).

I can add categories but cannot add any entries to the categories? I changed the data.php to 755 and then tried 777 but neither worked? Although it returns the words, "The changes were saved successfully" nothing show up.

Please help!
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

did you activated the new FAQ records?

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
raffman

Post by raffman »

How do I do that?
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

when you edit a record you'll get a item called "Active?". If you click on "yes", the record will be shown, if "no", it is only visible in the admin section.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
raffman

Post by raffman »

Hi Thorsten
Yes I activated the records. I've used this program for a couple years and recently, I made the mistake of deleting the database (long story) and so I had to reinstall the program.
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

which version of PHP do you use?

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
raffman

Post by raffman »

phpMyFAQ 1.5.2
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

please try 1.5.3.

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist
raffman

Post by raffman »

The program came with my web hosting service. The only version they offer is phpMyFAQ 1.5.2.

I can apparently add records because on the admin home page it says

"There are 14 records online" however, I cannot see these records when I try to view the program as a visitor.

I assume it's a file that needs permissions but I can't figure out which file.
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

can you show me your FAQ?

bye
Thorsten
amazon.de Wishlist