Viewing User and Group Rights

In this board you can talk about general questions about phpMyFAQ

Moderator: Thorsten

dweiss

Viewing User and Group Rights

Post by dweiss »

I am attempting to setup some group permissions and am unsure how to view what rights a specific user has after they are assigned to a group. Specifically, say a user registers and I assign that user the rights A, B, E, H, and M. Subsequently, I add that user to a group, G-3, which has the rights: A, B, C, D, E, P, T, and Z.

Now, when I look at that user's record, what should I see as the rights assigned for that user? I would think I should see that the user has the combined rights of what they were individually assigned plus those of group G-3, is that correct? In this case, I would expect to see the rights as: A, B, C, D, E, H, M, P, T, and Z.

However, when I do look at the record, I am not seeing any of the rights that I would expect that user to have picked up from the Group membership. I am not using auto-join, and I have set the security profile on medium.

In another case, I added a new user and did not assign any specific rights. I then added the user to the G-3 group. When I went back to look at that user's record to see what rights they now have, they did not have any rights at all.

Lastly, I do not see anything in the individual user's record to show that they are a member of an assigned group, although I do see the user as a one of the group members when I look at the group's display page. Is this normal?

I am not sure whether I am doing something wrong, or just do not understand how the rights and group assignments are intended to work and be displayed.

I would appreciate any advice you can offer,

Thanks,
-Danny
E-mail Contact Form for Danny Weiss
DC Society of Certified Public Managers
www.dccpm.org
Thorsten

Re: Viewing User and Group Rights

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,

the group rights overrule the user's rights. So a user cannot have any right, but if she's or he's a member of a group with permissions, she or he can access.

You always need the medium permission setting, otherwise you cannot use groups.

I hope that's clear.

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist
dweiss

Post by dweiss »

Thorsten wrote:Hi,

the group rights overrule the user's rights. So a user cannot have any right, but if she's or he's a member of a group with permissions, she or he can access.
...... Thorsten
So when I look at the user rights display and it shows that none of the rights boxes are active, the user still has whatever rights are part of the group they are in. Is that right?

Thanks,
-Danny
E-mail Contact Form for Danny Weiss
DC Society of Certified Public Managers
www.dccpm.org
Thorsten

Post by Thorsten »

Hi,
dweiss wrote: So when I look at the user rights display and it shows that none of the rights boxes are active, the user still has whatever rights are part of the group they are in. Is that right?
yes, and I now see that it's not the best solution...

bye
Thorsten
phpMyFAQ Maintainer and Lead Developer
amazon.de Wishlist